|% of Sicot 74BRF||Staple
|Year||2014||Trial Type||N/A||Trial Design||CRBD with 4 reps||Balance of Field||Siokra 24BRF|
|Planted||11/10/13||Picked||06/05/14||Previous Crop||Wheat||Established Method||Watered Up|
|Plant Stand/m||13.0||Rainfall (defoliation mm)||195||Incrop irrigations||11||Soil applied insecticide||No|
|Nitrogen (kg/ha N)||240||Phosphorus (kg/ha P)||N/A||Potassium (kg/ha K)||N/A||Zinc (kg/ha Z)||N/A|
|Heliothis sprays||0||Insect sprays||5||Pix applied (L/ha)||1.1||Days to defoliation||178|
We attempted to plant early and take advantage of the warm start but the season turned against us and delivered some very cold nights in late September. We replanted on the 11th of October and flushed the field. The crop got away to a very good start and never looked back.
We have used a combination of organic fertiliser (chicken manure) and traditional anhydrous ammonia for a number of years now with good results. In this field we applied 5 cubic metres of chicken manure and 180 units of N as gas prior to planting and then side dressed with 80 kg/ha of gas.
The crop used a lot of water due to the extreme heat and absence of any rain. We applied 10 incrop irrigations as well as 2 irrigations to water up. We used an 80 mm deficit for most of the season.
The yields we obtained in the trial field were very good but some adjacent fields were better. Overall we had a good season but the weather down grade hurt our profit.